Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Classmates' Unobtrusive Research Blogs

Last week we were assigned to create a blog about unobtrusive research. For me, unobtrusive research has been one of the most interesting subjects we have learned this semester so far. It gives researchers a chance to play the detective they always admire on Law and Order- a change to investigate the "crime" scene and solve the "mystery" (answer research questions).

What I found even more interesting was reading my classmates blogs about my favorite topic. Since my blog focuses on ethics, last week I discussed the debate of whether conducting unobtrusive research was unethical or not. So it was exciting to see how unobtrusive research was discussed using other topics.

The first blog that I want to comment on is Devon's Blog. In this blog Devon talked about how unobtrusive research is relevant to social media via celebrity Twitter updates. Social media is a tool that can be used to market a product, create relationships with customers, and more. However, I never thought of it as a tool to conduct research. Devon's blog was a perfect example of how social media can be used to conduct unobtrusive research and it opened my eyes to the possibilities this type of research has.

The second blog I want to comment on is Kevin's Blog. Kevin's blog focused on how unobtrusive is relevant to fitness and the supplement industry. It was useful to see how a specific industry would use this type of research. In his blog, Kevin discussed how the fitness and supplement industry uses both social media and different stores as outlets to perform unobtrusive research.

Discussing unobtrusive research through an ethical standpoint and reading my classmates blogs who discussed the topic in a different way helped me gain a much better understanding of this type of research.

No comments:

Post a Comment